4/13/10

Cosmic, Man, Cosmic

The next assignment for English 105 is an associative argument assignment.  What?  Forget the breaking down of the assignment into totally translatable explanations, I'll just start the free write of what I plan to do right now.

Schmow-wow.

The idea is to generally make a webpage based off of a previous assignment, of which follows for me:
--The Technical Bibilography, wherein we find lil ol' me and ascertain when she got her addiction to the internet, games, and generally messing around and calling myself a writer/artist.  To your left you'll see a Gameboy with Tetris and to your right, you'll find chat rooms and Google Wave.  Thank you for not smoking.
--The aforementioned tech review of Google Wave, with its shiny bells, whistles and intuitive interface.
--And finally, the much stressed over Research Paper, Everything Old is New Again: Sampling and Fan Work, otherwise known as "The Case for Fan Work and a Silly Excuse to Use Pop Culture as Real Culture" (and who's to say that it can't be?).  

An example or two on parataxical "texts"/work:
(the latter link is all sorts of shades of 99 Rooms and Dionaea House.  Also, don't say I never warned you, but make sure to attempt Dionaea House w/ the lights on.  I'm not responsible for the creeps it may induce 8D)

The easiest transition, after thinking on it (which is to say, not at all, because I'm impulsive like that), to a shiny and nifty, hyperlinked page is the Research Paper.

The case for this:
--SELF-PIMPING 8D.  Because the idea of being able to use my own work paints me 7 ways of giddy. I'm not narssisstic.  HONEST. 8D
--A more dynamic way to present my evidence and examples, like hyperlinking Double K, and There Will Be Brawl, in addition to musical artists' pages.  Its good to give love in the form of pageviews to artists, you know.
--I can easily generate new text I wasn't able to include in the paper.
--In this way, then, I can request more dialogue than a static paper, and present new questions and really get these ideas out there, where more people will talk.

Ideas!
--Perhaps then, in addition to posting hyperlinks, maybe having a comment board and/or image board for people to post points I haven't considered or work that supports or detracts from my research paper's argument.  
--In thinking along these lines, a submittable gallery that runs along the points of interest in my essay would be more approachable for those not of scholarly blood (like meself), and help illustrate the points of evolving fan community and the work they produce.

.....Yeah.  I'm getting far to excited about this, aren't I?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Desiree.
    I came to visit your blog because our research papers both focused on fan fictions. I, like you, would also like to use that topic for this website project. I was thinking about writing my own fan fiction (at least a short chapter or two) to a piece of already published work. On the site, I could possibly post a summary to the original piece of work along with links to it to give the website visitors somewhat of an understanding to it. Then, they can view my fan fiction to it to get an idea of how fan fictions work.
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete